1. The Physics Instructional Resource Association, hereinafter referred to as the Association shall hold an annual business meeting each year at the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) Summer Meeting to approve plans for the year and conduct other business of the Association.
2. Members present at other events may hold meetings but no official business shall be conducted at such other meetings. The Association social functions, such as Open Houses, may be held at the Summer and/or Winter Meetings of the AAPT.
3. In the event that no annual business meeting is held at two consecutive AAPT Summer Meetings, the Association will be considered dissolved, and all moneys held shall revert to the AAPT.
4. The annual business meeting shall be conducted according to Robert's Rules of Order.
Executive Board Duties
1. The Executive Board shall insure coordination and planning for Association activities. The Executive Board shall be consulted during the year by the President by phone, mail, or e-mail and shall act in concert at all times. When possible, the Board shall convene at the AAPT Winter Meeting.
2. The Executive Board shall review and approve interim changes to the policies listed in the "Handbook for Officers and Committees" and submit these changes to the members for approval at the next annual meeting.
3. The Executive Board shall recommend the amount of PIRA dues for the next year and any changes to the policies on membership at the annual business meeting. The members present at the annual business meeting shall approve any change in the amount of dues or membership policy and these changes shall not be modified be fore the next annual business meeting. These policies shall be included in the "PIRA Handbook for Officers and Committees".
4. Debts for the Association may not be incurred without the prior approval of the majority of the Executive Board.
5. The President may call upon the officers of the Association to perform any special tasks he/she may wish to require of them in pursuance of goals of the Association.
1. There are two standing committees: Constitution and Bylaws, and Nominating. Chairs for these committees shall be chosen by the President in consultation with the Executive Board.
2. The President shall appoint a committee of three members, none of whom shall be serving on the Executive Board, to act as a Constitution and Bylaws Committee. The term of appointment of this committee shall be 12 months, starting September 1, with appointees not being subject to removal during this term. The Constitution and Bylaws Committee shall act as the interpreter of the Constitution and Bylaws for the Association. Any member may at any time request a review by this committee of procedures initiated or actions taken or proposed by the Association, its officers, or any of its members. The committee's decision concerning interpretation of the said documents shall be binding unless overturned by a two-thirds vote of all PIRA members. Proposed amendments to the Constitution and Bylaws shall be reviewed by the committee and shall be submitted to the membership at the discretion of the committee.
3. The Past President shall be the chair of the Nominating Committee. The President shall appoint two PIRA members, none of whom shall be serving on the Executive Board, to act with the Past-president as a Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee shall administer elections in accordance with section ll, 2 and 3 of these bylaws.
4. Interim committees shall be formed at the discretion of the President in consultation with the Executive Board. Ad hoc committees may request recognition as interim committees by approaching any member of the Executive Board.
5. Continuing Committees shall be authorized by the members present at the annual business meeting. The Continuing committees shall be responsible for projects officially sanctioned by the Association. Chairs or Co-chairs shall be appointed to terms that expire upon resignation, replacement by the members present at an annual business meeting, or termination of the Continuing Committee. Other committee members shall be appointed by the chair of the standing committee. Interim and Ad Hoc Committees may request recognition as Continuing Committees by the members present at the annual business meeting.
6. Each committee chair shall submit a statement of the charge of the committee and any policies developed by the committee in discharging its charge to the Executive board for approval and inclusion in the "Handbook for Officers and Committees". Each committee chair shall make a report at the next annual business meeting. Chairs shall make reports or announce the results of their proceedings in the Newsletter as is necessary.
7. The official PIRA Committees and Chairs shall be listed in the Newsletter.