pira_home3

Welcome to the Physics Instructional Resource Association (PIRA) Website.

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Advanced Demo Workshop
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advanced Demo Workshop

Advanced Demo Workshop 9 years, 3 months ago #3

• jimkrider
  • Fresh Boarder
I have been to two summer meetings and attended both workshops each time. While I consider it worth while I would like to see more than the PIRA 200 at the workshops.

We could add another workshop and call it the Advanced Demo Workshop. We could get the demos from volunteers, perhaps solicit some that have created a stir on tap-l or maybe something that has been published.

If this is too much of an undertaking perhaps say a third of the time in each workshop could be devoted to demos that might be candidates for the PIRA 200.

The yearly demonstation competition fills this need somewhat. Maybe each entry into the competition could have some time to present in the workshop. (Where is the spell checker on this thing?)

The workshops are always awesome but I am wanting MORE!

Jim

Re: Advanced Demo Workshop 9 years, 3 months ago #4

• sturmde
  • Fresh Boarder
Jim, certainly this is a good idea, but probably it's really always come down to the expensiveness (and the exhaustion in setting up) of the demonstration workshops.

But a "Demonstration Workshop III" or "Beyond the PIRA 200 Workshop" certainly has been an idea I've heard floated around before, and perhaps when the meeting is going to be in a location where high attendance is expected, and located on a campus where such a workshop could be conducted without causing equipment conflicts for Demo I & II, it could really work out. As I recall a discussion in Greensboro, that equipment issue is one of the harder ones to work out. But as future meeting locations become known, perhaps such a harmonic convergence could work out!

The Committee on Apparatus now no longer has to consume 2 of its assigned sessions on Demo I & II since AAPT has institutionalized them... (or the organizers have been institutionalized Wink ) so a Demo III at least has a better chance to be sponsored by Ap-Com.

I take this as a sign you'd volunteer to be one of the organizers of a half-day workshop proposal for a first try at an Advanced Lecture Demonstration Workshop? Wink I'd be glad to help organize when the right time comes along. I think something analogous to the Advanced Laboratory Workshop would work for an afternoon session.

For what it's worth, about a dozen years ago, there also used to be a regular workshop on Operation and Organization of Lecture-Demonstration Facilities.... perhaps the Advanced Lecture Demo Workshop could be a fusion of that operational/management side with Beyond the 200.

Re: Advanced Demo Workshop 9 years, 3 months ago #5

• sturmde
  • Fresh Boarder
Interestingly enough, on Friday, July 24, 2009 at 7:30 pm during the Advanced Laboratory Topical Conference, we'll be running an Advanced Demonstration Hour!!

Funny how things came around that we could at least have a "sample" of what a Demo Workshop III would be!

I hope anyone else not already involved who'd like to throw an iron in the hour will contact me this week at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re: Advanced Demo Workshop 9 years, 3 months ago #6

Is this something that those of us coming in on Friday, but not signed up fopr the Advanced Lab Conference, could come see?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.26 seconds