pira_home3

Welcome to the Physics Instructional Resource Association (PIRA) Website.

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Minutes of 2008 PIRA meeting
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Minutes of 2008 PIRA meeting

Minutes of 2008 PIRA meeting 9 years, 3 months ago #17

  • TomSenior
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 4
  • Karma: 0
PIRA minutes for the 2008 Business meeting, Edmonton, Canada, 21July2008
Called to order by President, Brian Andersson, at 5:21 PM

I. Those present introduced themselves.

II. Although the minutes of the last meeting were left at home, they were accepted on a motion by Dale Stille.

IIa. Stan Micklazina (who had to leave for another meeting) requested aid in the production of the Demo Show.

III. Old Business:
A. Website: Thanks were given to Michael Thomlison for the great job he has done on the PIRA website.
action item: It was decided that we need a link to "financial resources," ie., the Bauder Fund. Dale Stille will see to this.
B. The Demo Wiki: as discussed, it will be publicly accessible, but editable only by members of PIRA.
action item: Dale Stille will also see to the implementation of the Wiki.
C. One of our members, Ramisch, has some immigration problems. Letters of support were solicited.
action item: Contact Steve Wonnell if you can help.

IV. Officers and workshop reports.
A. President Elect, Dave Strum, stated that Session CA, Physics and the Performing Arts, The Art of Physics Demonstration, at which he presided, was attended by about 1/3 of the meeting attendees. A great success.

B. Steve Wonnel reported that we have an approximate balance of $6742 plus $2562 in the Mary Creason Fund.
We have 219 members of PIRA, about 105 need to renew their dues.
action item: be sure to pay your dues.

C. Wayne Easterling, acknowledged all the help he has had with the resource room.
He also thanked Sargent Welch for the several thousand dollars of donated equipment and certificates.

D. Dale Stille reported that the Lecture Demonstration workshop had a low attendance (possibly due to the low attendance at the summer meeting.) but the reviews from those who attended were extremely positive.
Much thanks were given to Terry Singleton and his assistants, Lorne and Taylor for providing the equipment for the workshop.
Dale raised the question about the charges for the workshop. We need only about $35 for printing costs, but AAPT charges $145. This makes the workshop the second highest cost. (after Laboratories.)
Next year's workshop will be much easier, since the Michigan folks have been attending, and presenting, at the last two workshops.

E. Lab workshop: Andrew Tomasch reported (for Van Bistrow) that it was a "quality show," although there were only 8 attendees.
action item: Dale will check on next year's lab topic.

V. PIRA Committee Reports
A. DCS had not met as of the business meeting. They did meet on the morning of July 23.
B. Dean Hudek had 7 folks at his cracker barrel on professional concerns. He suggested that we suspend the cracker barrel for a year.
C. There was no need for a constitution committee meeting.
D. Sam Sampere, chair of the Apparatus Committee, reported that there was a brainstorming session for a long term goal for the committee.
There will be two workshops sponsored by the committee at the winter meeting: Ben Franklin is my Lab Partner, and a Teacher Prep session.
The workshops for Michigan include The Haunted Lab, An Apparatus Make and Take, Upper Level Lecture Demos, Cool stuff not in the 200, and a poster session called the Physics Bazaar.
E. Brian reported on the Nominating Committee for Chele. It was hard to find a nominee for the Presidential cycle this year.
F. Dave Maiullo reported that the Bauder Fund is still looking for ways to spend the money, although it would like to reduce the expected funding to PIRA over the next few years.

VI. New Business
A. Steve Wonnell reported that the Mary Creason Fund will give assistance to local high school physics teachers to attend the AAPT summer meeting. There was a problem spreading the word for this year's meeting.
action item: Steve will contact Al Gibson of the Michigan section to help spread the word for next summer.
B. News from around the PIRA world.
1. The deaths of Dan Margulies and Andy Graham were sadly noted.
2. The birth of David Kardelis's baby was happily noted.
C. Resource room committee: Given the large job it is to set up run the resource room, it was suggested that a local PIRA, the president elect, and the Vice President make an ad hoc committee to share the resource room work for next year.
D. Answer Guru for the website. A way to handle questions sent into the website was discussed. Brian will be the point person for the questions and delegate the answers or relay them to tap-L. Tom Geenslade has volunteered to deal the apparatus questions under the title "What the Heck is This." A link to Tom will be placed on the PIRA website.
E. A representative of Teach Spin asked if the company can belong to PIRA and to tap-L. It was stated that individuals from anywhere can belong to both organizations, but not companies.
F. AAPT has asked PIRA to look at its long term goals. After a session of brainstorming, we decided that recruiting new members was a worthy goal.
G. Under suggestions for the session topics for 2009, two suggestions came up: A Celebration of Dick Berg, and Demonstration Misconceptions.

VII. Election of Officers
A. VP. After much discussion, arm twisting, and promises, Ziggy Peacock volunteered to run for the office of Vice President.
B. Tom Senior had previously volunteered to continue at the job of secretary.
C. As there were no other nominations, a motion was passed that both candidates be elected by acclamation.

VIII. The meeting was adjourned at 7:44 PM.

respectfully submitted,

Tom Senior
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Page:
  • 1
Time to create page: 1.09 seconds